Thursday, November 6, 2014

Great Learners make Great Teachers



       In education, collaboration is powerful.  Teachers who seek out advice and ideas from multiple sources--within their school, within their school district, on twitter, via journal articles, etc.--probably have the most engaging classrooms.  Teaching is not a profession that expects perfection in the first year.  Indeed, it takes three to five years to develop the skills necessary to become a truly effective teacher.

       Hence, schools that allow for and encourage time for teachers to meet, are really encouraging teachers to constantly improve.  Our best teachers are always looking to improve and always searching for better ways to reach their students.  That's why teachers who love learning become great teachers.  They study how students develop ideas and they help students to build on what they know.

       The TEACH100 website has recently developed the Teach100Mentors.  They have honored me by allowing me to be part of this special group.  I am always glad to impart whatever wisdom I may have collected over the past 20+ years that I have been in education.  But I truly appreciate hearing and learning from others that are part of this group.  My learning will never end--there's so much to know.

     Similarly, our best teachers know that they have so much to gain by hearing from others.  As a younger person, I used to think that only people older and more experienced than me could help me to improve.  But today (at 50), I know that professionals of all ages help me to learn and to grow.

       Thank you to all of our teachers.  And thank you for continuing to teach each other.  It's more than important; it's necessary as we build a community of professionals who will lead the next generation of students who will (in turn) live and work in our futures.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Public Schools and Choice

       Is it true that public school kids and their public school parents don't have choices?  I'm sure that I will expose my igno...

Teach100 blog